Saturday, April 24, 2010

My take on Raavan music

After listening to the album at least 10 times now (in one day) I would say
Beera 9.5, Behne de 9.3, Kata Kata 8.8, Khili Re 8.2, Ranjha Ranjha 8.0, Thok de Killi 6.0

As of today Beera tops the album, but there maybe days or moments when I think Behne de will be a shade above it. Both of them are gems!! Its a pity Beera is only about three minutes..... but I am guessing (rather hoping) that it will be kind of the background song that plays at intervals in the movie situationally so that by the end of the movie it is topmost on your mind (like Omkara from Omkara :P ) (I have also heard that this song is sung by ARR himself in the Tamil version.....can't wait!!). The intro music in Behne de is heavenly, a really really fabulous song.
Kata kata is a lovely and fun song, I like the teasing feel in it. Though Rahul may be right in saying that it was composed in Tamil first; we can only wait and see. These three are definitely going feature regularly in my mixed playlist.
Khili Re is a nice, sweet, melodious song; but I feel it needs a bit more "growing" :P as does Ranjha Ranjha.
The beginning of Ranjha Ranjha was very good, but the rest of the song (in my opinion) did not match up to that and I need to get that out of my mind before I really form an opinion on this one....working on it ;). Also, I think in this case the visuals will definitely help me.
Thok de killi is worth listening only for the interlude music, the song per se does not work at all. One of those situational songs I guess which will sound ok on screen, but will definitely not stay on my playlist.
Overall, a nice album, but did not rise as high as were the expectations....but then again, it is ARR/Mani ratnam/Gulzar that we are talking of.

The CD cover of the album, however, is unimpressive compared to the fabulous movie posters. The one for the hindi album definitely looks like it is from a horror movie :P the color tones, the expressions on both Aishwarya's and Abhishek's faces do not hit any chord. The one for the tamil version is still better. Looking forward to it too as well as the movie (which seems a bit far still) :)

No comments: